Re: Linking two networks

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:53:57 +0200
Abraham van der Merwe <abz@frogfoot.net> wrote:

Thanks for the advice :-)

> You don't need to add a route to get to 192.168.1.0/24 since you your
> default gw will route packets to that network anyway. You are also use
> 192.168.1.10 as a gateway to get onto the 1/24 network which won't
> work (you can't use a machine on the network which you want to reach
> as a gateway). You want to be using 192.168.2.10 as a gateway to get
> onto the 1/24 network.

Mmm, thought I had something upside down.

> Also, you can use unnumbered ppp. Just do this:
>
> On your home gateway's eth0 assign 192.168.2.10 and on your office's
> side, assign 192.168.1.10 to eth1. Then use unnumbered ppp on both
> sides and make sure that ip forwarding is enabled on the office gw.

I don't quite follow how to set up unnumbered ppp. Should I just omit
the local_ip:remote_ip in my ppp options file at home?

> On your office side, you'll have
>
> pppd ... 192.168.1.10:192.168.2.10
>
> and on your home side, you'll have
>
> pppd ... defaultroute :
>
> Of course, you probably have /etc/ppp/* with the pon/poff scripts in
> which case you need to add above to your /etc/ppp/peers/* scripts

At the moment I have no scripts in place - I'm doing it manually to see
what works and what I should eventually put in the scripts. I only have
/etc/ppp/options on both sides.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za