Re: transparent PAT

Nickola,

 : Well, in fact I tried a solution with doing DNAT (i.e. destination NAT) in
 : both directions - from the client to the server and vice versa. With tcpdump
 : I saw that packet are going both diorections, but the client application
 : refused to accept them. I'm talking about irc. I mean there weren't any
 : errors, given by the client, just silence. :)

OK!  Now I'm confused.  Why would you need to do DNAT in both directions?

I thought you said you were using ipchains?  If you have iptables, DNAT is
really the answer.....you would DNAT anything inbound from machine A to
machine B.  Then let the connection tracking take care of the rest.

If you are using DNAT both directions, I'm guessing I don't quite
understand your intended configuration or you don't quite understand DNAT.
Either way, if you can use DNAT, read up on how to use DNAT at
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ and try again.

  -- OR --

<snip>
 : Ehm, yes, I tried with priorities 200 and the default ones, which ip rule
 : puts at the end - i.e. around 32765 and below.

So, we are agreed....policy based routing probably isn't the answer in
this case.

 : > After you have done:
 : > # echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind
 : > can you do something like this:
 : > # nc -nlvv -p 3001 -s 77.77.77.77
 : > Where 77.77.77.77 is an IP not in use anywhere on your box?
 : Yes, I can, but do I have a way to check that someone is indeed
 : listening on this port? Except locally, I mean. Beacuse netcat is
 : binding to the port with no complaints.

You should be able to use "netstat -ntl" to display the listening sockets
on your system.

 : > If you were using redir, why doesn't the following work:
 : > # redir --laddr=x.x.x.x --lport=993 --caddr=y.y.y.y --cport=993 --transproxy
 : No, it yells
 : target: connect: Invalid argument

The poor thing is in pain--that's why it's yelping!  I don't have any
problem with the above command line....are you certain that transproxy
support was compiled into your redir?

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@securepipe.com