Re: transparent PAT

Hi there Nickola,

 : I would like to reroute everything that's passing thru eth1 on machine
 : A from the internal lan and has dport XXXX to the same port on machine
 : B.

It seems to me like you really want NAT, not PAT--especially if you are
using multiple ports.  Am I missing something here?

 : The hole thing has to be completely transparent. I tried some "advanced
 : routing" stuff, like marking those packets with fwmark and building a
 : separate routing table for them, but alas. Notice that the two machines
 : are on the same LAN segment.

Problem is that the packets are handled specially in the local routing
table (highest priority in the RPDB).  I have not tried to use a rule of
higher priority than rule 0, so I do not know what side effects that might
have.

 : I've already tried also some userspace solutions, which didn't
 : work, like redir, tircproxy, transproxy, etc. but they didn't
 : work either, complaining abount not able to bind to non-local
 : port. And yes (mr. Brown), I know about the
 : /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind switch, listed in
 : plorf.net/linux-ip/.

After you have done:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind

can you do something like this:

# nc -nlvv -p 3001 -s 77.77.77.77

Where 77.77.77.77 is an IP not in use anywhere on your box?

If you were using redir, why doesn't the following work:

# redir --laddr=x.x.x.x --lport=993 --caddr=y.y.y.y --cport=993 --transproxy

Just curious,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@securepipe.com