How much does it matter where the throttling is done?

I got into a "spirited discussion" tonight about just what the upstream effects of traffic shaping look like.

In the case in point, a private WAN with quite a few routers connects to a number of Internet POPs. In some cases, the "leaves" are three or four hops from the backbone source.

The central focus of the discussion was the relative harm/benefit from putting the traffic shaper at the point where the bandwidth hits the Internet, at one extreme, versus at the "last-hop" routers on the other.

I won't go into the details as I suspect there is probably a cut and dried answer.

And rather than proffering my own ideas, I would rather not embarrass myself and just ask the experts.

Thanks.

B.