Re: Routing problem

On Wednesday, 20 November 2002, at 18:31:42 +0100,
Mauro Cerboni wrote:

> I have 3 routers (Linux boxes with Red Hat 8.0 server), with iproute2 and ip_forward activated; they are linked together in this way:
>
> AP1------Router1---------Router2----------Router3---------AP2
>
> The routing tables seem correct.

But the symptoms you describe seem to tell the opposite :-(

> Router1 and Router3 can ping each other,

Router1 and Router2 share a network segment, as well as Router2 and
Router3. So as Router2 seems to be forwarding packets, and it has router
to directly connected networks (shared with Router1 and Router3) the
communication between Router1 and Router3 works.

My guess is a wrong configuration of routing tables. Maybe you could try
traceroute to see if packets reach the other end, or they get lost at
some point. It wouldn't be unusual for the packets to reach the
destination, but be unable to return to the source, so check the routing
tables and follow the path the packets would travel.

Hope it helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)