Re: SNAT based on MAC before routing

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:08:59AM +0100, Eduard Calvo (B-teljpa) EXP JAN 03 wrote:

>   Hi Ramin,
>
>   Thanks for your answer. But this solution is not suitable to me. This would
> be a good solution if the only thing I had to do is to route packets based on
> MAC. The problem is that I have to SNAT before routing.
>
>   The reason is that I have to capture http traffic and redirect it through a
> local Apache Server that I have in my Linux box. The server has to be able to
> distinguish over hosts, and if I do SNAT in postrouting it will see the real
> ip address of the packet, and not the NAT'ed address. I wonder if maybe Apache
> has access to fields of the ip header (like TOS), because I would use these
> fields to make Apache distinguish clients.
>
>   Another solution is to implement a local process that, for each packet
> captured, NATs the source address. But I don't know in which chain of iptables
> could it leave the packets...
>
>   Do you know another suitable alternative??

If you want to have a log of the HTTP activity based on the MAC then
I'd suggest you to do something like this:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --syn --dport 80 -m mac \
	--mac-source XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -j LOG --log-prefix "Machine A"
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --syn --dport 80 -m mac \
	--mac-source YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY -j LOG --log-prefix "Machine B"
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --syn --dport 80 -m mac \
	--mac-source ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ -j LOG --log-prefix "Machine C"

But if you want to do something at HTTP level based on the MAC, the
only thing I can think of is to run apache at different ports and
redirect the traffic based on the MAC to these seperate ports.

Ramin