Re: routing to two interfaces

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:45:29PM -0600, Martin A. Brown wrote:
> There's a problem with your solution!
>
> fwmark; transient
> - - - - - - - - - - -
> The structure of the packet as it passes through the firewall/router
> contains the fwmark.  As soon as the packet leaves the box, it no longer
> has the fwmark.
>
> Your solution handles the packets inbound from the outside world, but
> neglects to handle the outbound packets from the internal network.
>
> SNAT; sets the correct source IP (for outbound connections)
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Even if using SNATs as you suggest, there is still has no way to tell if a
> packet belongs to a session inbound over eth1 or eth2.  This is the
> statelessness of IP routing!
>
> In order to make any recommendation, we would need to know what the IP
> address ranges are and specifically why/how Paco envisions using these
> two links.

Yes, true. I admit i didn't think long enough about it.
Well actually, i think he just wants the packets coming in eth1
will go out eth1 again, and the same for eth2. Nothing more nothing
less. I had kind of the same problem but with the restriction that
i had one extranet device with a limited set of subnets and one
internet device and one lan device so it was easy because i could set
proper routes for the affected intranet subnets. Well, anyway.
I suggest to setup a virtual eth0:1 device. Packets from eth1 leave then
at eth0:0 and packets from eth2 leave at eth0:1. Then he should be able
to set proper gateways and nats for eth0:x device.

--
rob