CBQ rate change

Hello to all,

I have a quick question about changing a CBQ rate.

What is the actual process that occurs when I execute:

%tc class change cbq ... rate xxxx

Does it actually create a new queue, and then remap traffic to the new
queue? If that is true, what happens to the packets already in the existing
queue when the change command is called? If they are lost, this affects QoS
parameters, etc.

Also, is there a call that returns the length of the buffer for a
corresponding CBQ class within the TC api?

Thanks,

Bob Callaway
rdcallaw@eos.ncsu.edu