use or non-use of multiple processors in forwarding

I'm testing to see how fast A can ping C without losing packets.
  A -- B -- C
B is a dual processor (Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 1.80GHz) machine.

/proc/stat shows me that all of the work is done by one cpu, the other
does nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas of why this should be the case and what
I can do to change it?  I'm hoping I can get higher throughput if
both of the cpu's participate.