router redandancy with vrrpd

Hi all,

maybe someone of you guys can help me on my problem.

I have 2 Zebra 0.93a routers with SuSE Linux 8.0.

Each router as working BGP sessions to some uplink providers.

Each one has an interface dedicated for my internal network.

The idea is that the other router starts up all 50 gateway ip addresses
needed on its internal interface.

I'm dealing with a lot of /24 networks, each one has x.x.x.1 as gateway.
To make this easier I changed the netmask from /32 to /24 in the vrrpd
source code and recompiled.

No problem until now. But, when the gateway addresses are up, I cannot
reach me servers. I did I simple ping, and got no response at all. I
tried arping, and I got an immediate response. After that ping also
worked. But only for some minutes, and the servers got lost again.

After that I shut down vrrpd and added my gateway addresses manually to
the interface:
ip addr add x.x.x.1 brd + dev $INT
And I got the same problem there.

Then I tried using aliases, but again the same problem.

If I do a simple
ifconfig $INT x.x.x.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast x.x.x.255

then I won't have the problem at all.

I don't think the problem is directly related to vrrpd, but I cannot
figure out what's going wrong here.

Some additional infos:
I'm using arpd instead of kernel space arp
I have approx. 1000 Servers connected via multiple switches behind my
internal nic.
I need to bring ip approx. 50 secondary ip addresses.

Perhaps there are to many servers connected via one nic, but why does it
work with ifconfig and not with ip addr add.

Thanx in advance
Sascha