The split access puzzled me

Hi,

Very sorry for my poor Enlgish because I'm not a native speaker.

I had read the lartc HOWTO and ip-cref very hard but puzzled by those
commands in lartc, 4.2.1. Split access. They are (only xx1 listed):

ip route add $P1_NET dev $IF1 src $IP1 table T1
ip route add default via $P1 table T1
ip route add $P1_NET dev $IF1 src $IP1
ip route add default via $P1
ip rule add from $IP1 table T1

I think here "ip rule add from $IP1 table T1" means, the IP package which
source address is $IP1 will be passed to table T1. Such packages, only
generating by that linux router itself, are independent of local network
behind the linux box.

So, any IP packages from anywhere (except linux router itself) will bypass
table T1. For them the table T1 is valueless. T2 is similar.

As the HOWTO said, the target is "route answers to packets coming in over a
particular provider, say Provider 1, backup out again over that same
provide." For this, I believe the correct one is:

ip rule add $P1_NET via IP1 dev $IF1

and a rule/table (and the others) is unnecessary.

In fact skipped all those commands in 4.2.1. Split access my load-balancing
works fine without any problem.

That's what I can not understand. Since so many people had reviewed this
document maybe I misinterpret it, do I?

Thanks in advance,

Jing Tuo