Re: Egress shaping over multiple interfaces?

On Thursday 31 October 2002 15:20, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After reading the excellent HOWTO I got traffic shaping working nicely over
> ethernet devices on a test setup. I can't put this setup live though,
> because our main firewall has three 2mbit hdlc interfaces instead of a
> single device.
>
> We are using multipath routing using iproute2 nexthop at the moment, and
> that works fine for firewalling. But now I have a need for shaping and
> shaping only works over a single interface it seems and not over multiple
> interfaces.
Yes you can if you apply the needed patches to the kernel and iptables so you
can use the imq device.  It's a virtual device and you can use the normal
cbq/htb/tbf qdiscs on it.  You can redirect packets to it with iptables and
you can do it from any interface you want and also from IN + OUT.  So you can
create 1 imq device, redirect all packets that leaves hdlc0-2 and shape on
that imq device.
IMQ link :
http://trash.net/~kaber/imq

> According to the HOWTO I can setup a teql device to bundle the hdlc0-2 into
> a single teql0 device, but that requires an extra combined IP address at
> both sides it seems.
The teql can only be used if you have a linux on both sides of the 2 links.

> The question is whether I can get away with setting up the teql device over
> the three hdlc IPs with an ip on the teql device that's either fake or one
> of our class C subnet (maybe even reuse the IP of the ethernet card on the
> other end), without having our provider to change their config.
>
> The round robin routing is not the problem, we have that working correctly
> for quite a while already, it's the fact that teql requires an extra IP
> which nexthop routing doesn't that bothers me a bit. And since this is a
> live router I am not going to take risks by messing with it without proper
> research...
>
> Is there any advice to give me here? Or do you need more information first?

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"