[Fwd: Re: congestion problem]

Don Cohen wrote:
 >   Client --- R1 --- R2 --- R3 --- Web
 >
 >   the Client it's me, the R1 router it's myne (so i can control it), the
 >   R2 is my provider router, and R3 is the provider,provider router.
 >
 >   R2 - R3 is a 2mbit link
 >   R1 - R2 is a 10mbit link
 >   R2 have multiple interfaces and other 10mbit links
 >   I have a 32kbit garanted bandwidth on the R2-R3, but without limit
(rate
 >   32kbit, ceil 2mbit)

 > You have guaranteed 32K upstream, downstream or both?
both in 32kbps

 > There's something strange about that in any case.
 > For upstream, how does r2 know which packets are from you?
ip

 > Source address?  Then some other customer of your ISP could deny
 > you service by spoofing your address (unless your ISP filters that).
not the case

 > Downstream is also strange, first cause your ISP's ISP would then
 > have to know about you,
he does, it route my ip back to me, i have an ip from his class range

 > second cause you have little control over what
 > others send you.
right

 >  So if that is controlled at all it should be
 > shaped in accordance with your wishes.
only by the ISP, but he don't carre what it's in my band, he only shape
to garantee to all the clients (his) the 32kbit or whatever they bought

 > You talk about downloading.  But in that case the bandwidth is used
 > mostly downstream.  You have limited control over that.  Assuming
 > the servers are using tcp you could control the acks (more to the
 > point the windows) you send back to limit the rate at which they send
 > to you.
yes, i tryed this:
class 1:1 .... prio 1 <-- web request
class 1:2 .... prio 2 <-- acks
class .....

but with not to mouch resoult.

the logic i came with is: i send prio 1 the web request, but my provider
   don't send it prio 1 too, and/or the result of the request, get into
the provider R2 shaper and get fifo with all the other packets (download
mostly), so i get none gain.

so the concluzion is that i can do anything/much.

 > Of course, 32Kbit is slow enough that you're never likely to be happy
 > with download speed.
yes, but more cost too much