Re: Transparent bridging / smart rate limiting

On Tuesday 01 January 2002 01:25, Tor Inge Kloumann wrote:
> I've decided to try to make a transparent bridge, that should drop
> packet's based on some weird rules.
> I have googled around a bit and couldn't find any information about what
> I would like to do.
> And therefore I now send a mail to this mailinglist in hope that someone
> can either help me, or point me in the right direction.
>
> What I want to do is the following:
> Make a transparent bridge that starts dropping ICMP packets that are
> oversized(malicious icmp), drop all syn packets that comes from spoofed
> hosts(non existent ip's), drop other obvious malicious traffic.
> My problem is not dropping packets(hehe), the problem is dropping
> packets based on these rules, so that legit icmp/syn traffic etc will
> not be affected by the rules.
> I've done some testing with hogwash as transparent bridge to intercept
> and block malicious packets. I was however not able to use hogwash to
> drop icmp/syn based on above clearified rules.
>

> If someone could point me in the right direction/maybe someone has some
> examples(?) I would be very greatfull.
Have you read the docs about iptables?  It can match allmost everything.
Search for the -m so you can call extra "helpers".
You can use iptables on a linux bridge, but it requires some extra patches.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"