arp control in a multihomes host

I have a problem involing arp table entries that I'm hoping someone can
help with.

I'm working on a mail system that utilises multiple Linux servers in a
redundant configuration.
The configuration has pairs of Linux servers running as MTAs. Each pair
of real servers hides behind a virtual server name. The virtual server
name and load balancing of real servers is handled by an Alteon AD3 switch.
Each of the Linux servers has two ethernet interfaces with the second
interface also connected to a (second) Alteon. The two Alteons are
configured in an active-standby arrangement using VRRP.
The IP addresses of each linux servers' ethernet interfaces are on the
same subnet (172.16.180.0/128),

The configuration of the Alteon causes each of the Alteon IP
addresses to appear on each interface of the Linux box, with the same
MAC address i.e.

alteon1 (172.16.180.2) at 00:00:E8:D7:4F:5D [ether] on eth0
alteon2 (172.16.180.3) at 00:50:BA:CB:DD:D8 [ether] on eth0
alteon1 (172.16.180.2) at 00:00:E8:D7:4F:5D [ether] on eth1
alteon2 (172.16.180.3) at 00:50:BA:CB:DD:D8 [ether] on eth1

What I'm looking to do is to not have the second entry for any host
appear in the arp table if it's already there for another interface.
i.e. if alteon1 has an arp entry pointing to eth0, don't add one for
eth1 - which I guess means, don't issue arp requests/responses on the
other interface for an Alteon if we have an arp table entry.
The solution doesn't need to be tailored to the Alteon IP
addresses, just a general rule of not issuing arp requests/responses
on a second interface if we already have a similiar entry pointing to
the first interface.

Regards
Geoff Steer