Re: Weird(?) HTB3 setup

> I want to be able to specify actions for different classes of
> traffic in any of these four ways, and I'd like to use only
> HTB if possible:
>
> 1. No guranteed rate, No ceil
> 2. Guaranteed rate, No ceil
> 3. No guranteed rate, Ceil specified
> 4. Guaranteed rate, Ceil specified
What do you mean with no ceil?  Do you mean that the classes can send at full
device speed?  Then the ceil = device speed.  For htb, no ceil means ceil =
rate.

No guaranteed rate can be simulated by creating 2 classes :
root class rate = cail = 100 %
  class 1 = rate 1%, ceil 100%
  class 2 = rate 99%, ceil 100%
Class 1 will have (allmost) no guaranteed bandwidth.  In worst case senario,
it get's only 1 % of the bandwidth.  But if class 2 uses only 20%, class 1
can get's the remaining 80%.  Of course you can change the ceil to match case
3.

> For types 2, 3 and 4 there can be several classes of each, with
> different rates and ceilings.
>
> 4 is ofcourse easy. 2 is also easy - just set ceil to the ceil of
> the parent class. But I'm not sure whether 1 can be accomplished
> with this:
> > there is build-in passthru class named X:0 where X is your
> > handle. Simply set "default 0" when creating htb and all
> > unclassified packets will go directly thru.
> > devik
>
> Does "go directly thru" mean that unclassified packets are sent
> *before* packets belonging to a class with a guarateed rate? Or
> does it mean that unclassified packets get sent when there is
> bandwidth to spare (which is what I want) ? And what about lending?
> In what proportion does this "passthru class" lend bandwidth compared
> to other classes?
It means that all the packets will get sended as fast as the hardware can.
The packets will end up in the queue just before the device so they can eat
bandwidth from other classes (and that's not what you want).

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"