Re: HTB - problem with one thread

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 20:45, Stef Coene wrote:

> > The problem is that clients can have their bandwidths at maximum only if
> > they use a download accelerating software like DAP with multiple
> > symultanous threads. Using only one thread, a single download can reach
> > about 60% of the allocated bandwidth.
>
> Quantum is used if 2 or more classes with the same parent are fighting for
> bandwidth.  First, they are allowed to get the rate you gave them.  For the
> remaining bandwidth, quantum is used.  Each class may send quantum bytes.
> You have to make sure quantum > MTU (typical 1500 bytes for ethernet).
>
> What if you use no sfq qdiscs?
>
> Stef

I have tried with pfifo queues and it's the same. I made many tests changing
quantum, queueing for leaf but in no case I could reach the allocated
bandwidth with a single download thread. The same limit set on cisco router
with traffic-shape, worked fine.

Could there be a problem when there are many qdiscs ? Are there many
calculations to be done, so the packets get delayed and the TCP transfer rate
is lowered.

Ciprian