Re: HTB equivalent for 'bounded' and 'isolated' in CBQ

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Stef Coene wrote:
>
> >> The 'ceil' parameter allows us to implement a part of the 'isolated'
> >> definition above. By setting it equal to 'rate', the class does not
> >> borrow bandwidth, but what will stop other classes from borrowing its
> >> unused bandwidth?
> >
> > Providing no ceil parameter means rate = ceil.  But this can not be
> > used to implement isolated like in cbq. Rate = ceil means the class
> > can not use more bandwidth then it's rate. Isolated in cbq means other
> > classes can not borrow bandwidth from the class and that's not the
> > same.  There is no way you can implement isolated with htb.
> >
> > But with htb you can do something like this :
> >
> > Total : 100
> > class1   rate 20   ceil 20
> > class2   rate 40   ceil 80
> > class3   rate 40   ceil 80
> >
> > class 1 is isolated like in cbq. It can not use more then it's
> > rate/ceil and class2 and class3 will never use bandwidth from class1,
> > only from each other. Just like the definition of isolated :)
>
> What happens when there is no traffic in class 1? Will class 2 and 3
> share class 1's bandwidth then?
>
> The reason I am asking these questions is because I am trying to see if
> HTB can be used in place of CBQ in Diffserv. Has anybody tried something
> like this?

It works fine for me, although I haven't used CBQ previously so I can't
comapre them. It just works for me, except the delays in interactive class
are too long, even when the prio is 0 (highest) and the rate and ceil are
maximum. Maybe CBQ is better in reducing the delays... Anybody solved this
problem?

#           |       p0wer        |       #
#   __      |    GG#1877248      |       #
#  (oo)     | p0wer@bojko.eu.org |       #
# / \/ \ Go away or I will replace you   #
# `V__V' with a very small shell script. #