Re: Q: best solution to stop traffic to huge amount of unregisteredhosts

Gerry Creager N5JXS schrieb:

> The answers are not necessarily pretty.
>
> I've done a similar task with a Juniper M5 router.  It will handle up to
> about 180,000 rules at wire speed.  But it is expensive.
>
> If your switches were a little newer, we could use 802.1x to enable the
> switch-use capability flag (:-) and solve the problem.

you know, 10k hosts are never attached to a network with homogenous
new network devices :-(

> Instead of policing at a single edge point, you might consider policing
> at dormatory and building edges, where the load is smaller and you can
> use masking and diminsh the ruleset some more.

but the management is very difficult, see above

> With a sufficiently fast box, or series of boxes, doing specific tasks,
> you should be able to do this.  Folks like Juniper achieve it by being
> able to classify and mark in ASIC without having to go to the processor.

Netfilter and iproute2/tc is very good but I miss just a fast
matching module for a "pool" of ip addresses and the missing tc-cref
or better documented tc examples, especially dealing with general
ingress policing.

Best regards
	Charly

--
Karl Gaissmaier          Computing Center,University of Ulm,Germany
Email:karl.gaissmaier@rz.uni-ulm.de          Network Administration