Re: iproute and iptables

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 00:21, James Ma wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am newbie. However, I tried iptables recently and succeeded. I don't
> understand the relationship between iptables and iproute2, is iproute used
> to replace iptables?
iptables is to create firewall chains
iproute2 contains 2 programs :
   ip : For setting/changing all the ip configuration and routing
   tc : For manipulating the bandwidth managing part of the kernel

But iptables and iproute can work together.  You can mark packets with
iptables and use that mark to route packets or use that mark in the filters
you can add with tc.

More info about the iproute2 utility can be found on www.lartc.org.

Stef

--