Why multiple NICs in a multiple route situation?

In a situation with multiple routers to the Internet and a
Linux firewall/router that either makes a choice about which
route to use or load balances among the routes:

> I don't think you *need* to have a separate NIC for each
> router, but if I were doing it, I'd want each router on a
> separate network.

This has been bugging me - if a single NIC will work then what
value does another NIC add?  Let's say the circuits are both T1.
With two possible circuits, that's just a little more than 3mb
per second.  At 100 mbit per NIC, it would take more than 50
T1s to swamp it.

So why a NIC per T1?  Why not just give a single NIC an
IP address in all the networks for each T1?  Or am I missing
something important?

thanks

- Greg Scott