Re: definition of burst

Hi

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:28:56PM +0300, Anton Yurchenko wrote:
> How does HTB define burst. What does it consider a burst, I mean how
> does it destinguish when to allow traffic above rate(ceil), within
> burst(cburst) values?

>From just reading the docs (not the actual source) I would say that
"rate" is only the rate in which the bucket is filled with tokens.
"burst" defines the size of the bucket. I.e. when the bucket is filled up
after a pause, you can send out as much packets as the bucket is large as
fast as you want. The burst therefore starts at a sometimes undefined point
in time but definetly ends when the bucket is simple empty. Because then,
the packets have to wait for new tokens which only arrives at the "rate"
frequency.

So "burst" defines the endurance of the burst.

(if you want those small-burst-until-the-bucket-is-empty to be not as fast
as possible but shaped as well then you have to use the maxpeak parameter.

HTH,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879