"For ethernet, no packet uses less than 64 bytes" - why?

Hi

Well, subject says all. In Chapter 9.2.2.1, TBF, the parameter mpu
or "minimum packet size" is explained as:
> A zero-sized packet does not use zero bandwidth. For ethernet, no packet
> uses less than 64 bytes. The Minimum Packet Unit determines the minimal
> token usage for a packet.

In my understanding an ethernet packet needs at least 14 (2*6+2) bytes or
54 bytes if there's an ip header present.

If this is a kernel issue it should be noted. To which layer does the
term "zero-sized" apply anyway? I mean, how can I tell C to send "nothing"?

bye,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879