Re: Allowing CVS, RCP & SCP

A. Peter Mee said:
> Hi all,
>
> Could someone give me some pointers to achieving stable cvs and rcp
> access through a fairly restrictive firewall.  I'm using a 2.4.18
> kernel which defaults to dropping everthing, then punching holes where
> needed and SNATting the internal network.  Single-socket protocols
> (http, smtp, pop3) do currently function correctly through the firewall
> so I'm assuming the cvs and rcp/scp protocols are not single-socket.
> The ftp and irc protocols also function correctly through the firewall.

ssh is a single socket protocol. If you can ssh through your firewall then
you can use scp. You can even tunnel other ports over the single ssh
connection (e.g. X).

CVS isn't a network protocol. You generally run it using remote shell tools,
in the CVS manual it allows you to specifify how with the CVS_RSH evrionment
variable.

r* tools are bad. Do you need them?

> If something more specific about my configuration is needed, I'll be
> happy to oblige. ;-)
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete Mee