advanced routing for traffic generator-like setup

Hi,

Given the following two variations of the same setup:

HostA ------------------ HostB
 eth0:               eth0:
 1.1.1.1/24          1.1.1.2/24
 2.2.2.1/24          2.2.2.2/24

and:

HostA                                   HostB
 eth0:1.1.1.1/24 ------------ eth0:1.1.1.2/24
 eth1:2.2.2.1/24 ------------ eth1:2.2.2.2/24

(basically same setup but with two NICs on each host)

How does one set up advanced routing so that when
HostA sends a packet from 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.1, it
goes via HostB, and vice versa: a packet from
2.2.2.1 to 1.1.1.1 also goes via HostB.

This setup would allow me to do traffic-generator/
troughput-like tests when HostB is a low-end machine.

I have been fiddling around with ip route/ip rule,
but the biggest problem I seem te be having is that
when I change/delete an entry from the local table,
HostA no longer replies to ARP queries on the wire.

Thanks in advance,
Filip