Re: [LARTC] How to make Linux server transparent to internal machines?

On Friday 31 May 2002 23:55, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a block of static IP addresses on which I want to run
> several Windows machines.
>
> Since I want to have a firewall, I was thinking of using 1 IP
> address for a linux server that will act as a firewall for
> the entire setup.
>
> So, here is a diagram:
>
>   [Internet] -- [Linux Server] -- switch -- [Internal machines]
>
> The linux server and the internal machines all have static
> IP addresses which are public to the Internet.
>
> How can I set-up routing so the Linux server is "transparent"
> to the other machines?
You can play with the routing on the Linux server.  The default gw of the
linux server points to the internet, but for each internal machine, you add
an extra route to the right NIC.  The internal machines have the ip-address
of the LInux server as default gw.  You can even give both NIC's of the
Linux-server the same ip-address so you don't losse one.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"