About burst and cburst in htb (Re: [LARTC] htb faq)

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Martin Devera wrote:

> > > rate has burst
> > > ceil has cburst

> > So it means that when traffic is borrowed cburst is used, else burst ?
>
> Hmm .. do you understand the difference between ceil & rate ?

Yes, rate is the guaranteed bandwitdh, ceil is the maximum bandwidth.

> Everytime when ceil is computed then cburst is used and vice versa ..

I will try to answer to myself:

          ---------
          |       |
          |       |
   --------       ---------------------

Say you have a burst like this. When transmiting all the available
bandwitdh is used by the burst.

At the next oportunity, htb will ask himself:
its my turn, how long must be this burst ?

If the computed bandwidth used by this class is over "rate" (but less than
"ceil", the length will be "cburst". Else it will be "burst").

Is it this ??

--

      __o
    _ \<_