[LARTC] Re: Traffic Control

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jim Roland wrote:

> Actually, it's the documentation at LARTC that is confusing.  Most examples
> are for home use or NAT'ed situations, not an environment where I am
> operating.  I looked over the documents and relatively unclear what is
> needed.  What exactly does TBF do as opposed to CBQ?

I suggested TBF since it has minimum options and usually 'just works'!
It is used to rate limit a flow. e.g. if the incoming traffic is at
10Mbit, you could set up TBF to rate limit everything to 1Mbit by just a
single line of config like the one given in the manual.

Once you get that working, its acts as a sanity check for your setup and
then you can start experimenting with the much much more complex cbq and
its more accurate successor, HTB.

> I found an installed cbq.init (a script to setup the tc commands for you),
> but it does not appear to be working.  I have confirmed that I do have
> netlink & all routing options available in the kernel, and the modules cbq,
> etc are loading automatically when called upon.  I'm running kernel 2.4.9-
> 31.  Any thoughts?

I would advise you to just check the above TBF scenario first, and then
move on to more complex ones like CBQ. Stef has some excellent documents
on CBQ experiments (www.docum.org) and Devik is developing the excellent
HTB (http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/)

By the way, what traffic generation tool are you using? Or is this live
traffic, which is usually a bad idea if you dont want extremely slow
connections for some users ;)

ciao,
Amit
p.s. Bert would welcome comments as to what parts of the document are
confusing or if something needs to be reorganized, i am sure.

--
I'm an angel!!! Honest!
The horns are just there to hold the halo up straight.