From: "Don Cohen" <don-lartc@isis.cs3-inc.com>
To: <lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 7:31 PM
Subject: [LARTC] rp filter questions

> > The rp_filter is also explained here:
>  > http://lartc.org/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/html/c1182.html#AEN1188
> above says:
>   for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter ; do
>   echo 1 > $i=20
>   done
>=20
> First question:
>  ls /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter
>  =3D>
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/rp_filter
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth2/rp_filter
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/rp_filter
>=20
> What do all and default do?

>From my lack of understanding, all will change the behaviour on all =
interfaces, while default contains the default values at all time, =
disregarding of what the others are set to. Of course, I haven't =
actually checked if this is correct, nor am I an expert in the area... =
In other words, do not kill me for being wrong;). I would make a general =
guess that the best answer would be given at the netdev@oss.sgi.com =
mailing list.

> Could the look above be replaced by just one?
>=20
> Second question:
> How does the runtime cost of rp_filter compare with that of rules like
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -s ! 10.0.0.0/8 -j DROP
>=20

I would make a small guess that it will mean less overhead with =
rp_filter since it is working inside the ipv4 core while netfilter is =
layered on top of the ipv4 core and requires a little bit more calls =
inside the kernel. Again, I may very possibly be wrong. The best answer =
would probably be given at the netfilter-devel@lists.samba.org or =
netfilter@lists.samba.org.=20

> I assume in one case you have to do a route lookup, in the other you
> have to iterate over the appropriate rules.  What are these costs?
> Ideally the answers should be in terms of variables we know, such as=20
> the number of rules, the number of rules per interface, the number of
> routes, etc.
>=20

Again, I believe this is slightly off topic, but I may be wrong. Your =
best bet are the above mentioned mailing lists.=20

Have a nice day,

Oskar Andreasson
http://www.boingworld.com
http://people.unix-fu.org/andreasson/