[LARTC] Routing to 2 isps and dhcp devices.

I'm redoing our firewalls.  at 3 sites.

At each site have  1 dsl with  a static ip and a cable modem.
2 of the cable modems are regular  dhcp connections and the other uses a
cisco cable modem that simulates a static ip.

Goal :

1:Have  redundant connections to internet that automatically deal with
connection failures.
2: Redundant ipsec vpn links using freeswan  that also deal with
connection failures.

At the moment I'm primarily working on   the redundant connections to
the internet but need to  keep in mind the ipsec issues.

I am trying  out  the example from the Nano-Howto by Christoph Simon
at  http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/nano.txt

Looks very promising but there are complications.

In my test setup I'm doing both connection via cable modem.
On one I set it up static  from  info from dhcpcd.
On the other  I'm routing through a linksys cable modem router.

The "static" connection is just fine.
Problem is  with the  the  one going through the linksys router does not
detect when the internet connection fails.
I assume its because the routing is not aware of the real route out. I
suspect I would have the same problem with the one going through the
cisco cable modem.

The nice thing about going through the linksys router is I can don't
have to play with  ipsec.conf and restarting ipsec as required

Any suggestions??

I see a few possibilities:

It looks like it may  possible to use dhcpcd  to  do the dhcp but
actually  add the  interface and routes  with  the ip command..
If that can be done it will require handling a lot of possible states
particularly for  freeswan.

Use the linksys boxes  and figure some way the test the routes. I'm not
that really thrilled about the extra boxes but sure makes the ipsec
config simpler.

Anything else??

John