[LARTC] sfq, queue len and dropped packets

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Don Cohen wrote:

> One example is that you have two interfaces, one is limited (either by
> hardware or software) to 10Mbps and the other to 1Mbps.  Then if
> traffic arrives on the faster one at, say, 2Mbps, you clearly won't be
> able to forward it all out the slower one.  In that case you'd end up
> with lots of dropped packets and long queues.

Hmm, my setup has one fast eth incoming interface (no outgoing at all on
that interface) and one outgoing fast eth interface (there is no incoming
traffic on this one). They use the same driver and are very good hardware
(eepro100).

> Unless you have either an unusually fast network or an unusually slow
> computer, the bottleneck is more likely in the network than the cpu.

Oh, so 100Mbit its no problem for a 2xP3 1GHz ? :)

>  > I usually dont have problems hacking into C programms but I dont get it
>  > what does that comment means, with the 4k page limit. I mean I need a
>  > formula to calculate to see if I would get over that 4k limit.
> I think that increasing the 128 will require you to change the type
> from char to int.  One of those arrays has 2 * sfq_depth elements.
> The code could be fixed to not require changing the type until you
> go over sfq_depth 256, but I think it'll be easier for you to just
> change the type and not worry about it.

Ok, I'll look into it, thanks.

Mihai RUSU

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any company,
unless otherwise specifically stated.