[LARTC] Capturing incoming packets

I am investigating how to capture some packets from a network device (In
order to send them to IMQ).

Looking at the kernel compilation options, I see it would be possible to
pick some packets and send them to a "netlink device".

What I don't know is how to use this netlink device, and what is it
exactly, because the doc say it is going to disappear, and that we must
use "netlink sockets"

Help?

Here some interesting info:

using CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE in the 2.4 Kernel:

CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE:

Netfilter has the ability to queue packets to user space: the
netlink device can be used to access them using this driver.

If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read
Documentation/modules.txt.  If unsure, say `N'.

net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_queue.c :

/*
 * This is a module which is used for queueing IPv4 packets and
 * communicating with userspace via netlink.
 *
 * (C) 2000 James Morris, this code is GPL.
 *
 * 2000-03-27: Simplified code (thanks to Andi Kleen for clues).
 * 2000-05-20: Fixed notifier problems (following Miguel Freitas' report).
 * 2000-06-19: Fixed so nfmark is copied to metadata (reported by  Sebastia=
 *             Zander).
 * 2000-08-01: Added Nick Williams' MAC support.
 *

man iptables:

TARGETS
       A firewall rule specifies criteria for  a  packet,  and  a
       target.   If  the  packet does not match, the next rule in
       the chain is the examined; if it does match, then the next
       rule is specified by the value of the target, which can be
       the name of a user-defined chain or  one  of  the  special
       values ACCEPT, DROP, QUEUE, or RETURN.

       ACCEPT  means  to  let  the packet through.  DROP means to
       drop the packet on the floor.  QUEUE  means  to  pass  the
       packet  to userspace (if supported by the kernel).

--=20

      __o
    _ \<_
   (_)/(_)