[LARTC] problem using rshaper

Hello.
>         We are managing the control of outgoing bandwidth using HTB. We are
> trying to use rshaper to control our incoming bandwidth.

If you already mastered HTB, I think you don't need rshaper
(obviously, I may be wrong).

> But the bandwidth
> doesn't seem to come under the specified limit.  We are not sure what we did
> is right.  This is what we did.
>
>        insmod rshaper.o
>        rshaperctl 192.168.1.20 500

Do you really want as low as 500 bytes per second?

> We monitored the incoming bandwidht using IPtraf.  But the rate
> shown goes much above what we have given.

rshaper works by delaying incoming packets, or dropping them if the
queue is too long. The packes still travel across the network, so if
you measure traffic on another host you won't measure immediate
shaping. However, the TCP stack adapts transmission rates to
acknowledgement rate, so you'll see reduction after a while.

Also, you give too little information to diagnose the problem. Please
write me offlist with more details of your setup.

/alessandro

PS: it's unfair to send separate messages to the maintainer and a
mailing list (and possibly several other lists). If I weren't
subscribed I couldn't know you sent it and couldn't reply. Please use
Cc: instead.    Besides, rshaper is offtopic for this list.

PS2, to lartc-admin: please allow posts from non subscribers, otherwise
replies to crossposts (person+lists) won't get through if person is not
subscribed.