[LARTC] Need information on multi-homing

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 03:49:49PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Is there a multi-homing FAQ? I've not been able to find it.

No, but it is very high on my agenda. Multihoming and loadbalancing are
among the most popular subjects if I count by my inbox.

> Here's my system's configuration:
>
> 	eth0:	SDSL at 216.15.108.186 (dnai-net)
> 	eth1:	ADSL at 67.114.175.138 (sbc-net)
> 	eth2:	DHCP network at 192.168.1.1 .
> 	lo:	127.0.0.1
>
> 	There is a firewall box acting as the DHCP server and router for the
> 	systems on the DHCP net. The Linux system doesn't run DHCP or
> 	masquerading.

So what IP address do packets have that come from the firewall box?

> If a connection is accepted on the IP address of one of these interfaces,
> I'd like its packets to go out on the same interface. If there is a failure
> on the path to eth0, connections to eth1 should continue to work, and vice
> versa. But right now, eth0 has the default route and just about every packet
> goes out of eth0 regardless of what interface they come in. So, I tried this:
>
> 	ip rule add from 216.15.108.186 table dnai-net
> 	ip rule add from 67.114.175.138 table sbc-net
> 	ip route add default via 216.15.108.186 dev eth0 table dnai-net
> 	ip route add default via 67.114.175.138 dev eth1 table sbc-net
>
> This doesn't work. I get a destination unreachable if I try to follow either
> route. So, what am I doing wrong?

You have no default route left for packets which came in over the firewall
box, which probably has a 192.168.1.x address? I think that is the number
one thing going wrong.

Now, as to what you want, you will need a way to separate connections to go
out over either eth0 or eth1 in a persistent way. This mostly means sending
out half your internal IP range over one interface and the other half over
the other.

This in turn implies SNAT or masquerading because you need to change the
source address - packets with the address of eth0 won't travel the net well
over eth1.

Regards,

bert hubert

--