[LARTC] why shape incoming traffic

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 05:53:15PM -0800, Don Cohen wrote:
>  > On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:08:16AM +0100, Martin Devera wrote:
>  > > qdisc (shaper) only for outgoing data. It is generaly
>  > > believed to be dumb to throttle data when they already
>  > > reached your computer or gateway.
>  >
>  > The only reason I've ever been able to see for incoming data shaping is
>  > to reorder packets so that, for example, FINs are sent to their
>  > respective applications before SYNs (just an example) or ACKs before data.
>
> It doesn't seem very important to shape the incoming traffic that will
> be forwarded, since the same shaping can be done at output.

An important reason to be able to do incoming shaping is that you may lose
information while routing, which doesn't help you with shaping on egress.
For example, to shape traffic going via a proxy server, outgoing.

There is no way to recognize on ppp0 that traffic was generated by an
internal host who sent it to eth0, where it was packaged by a proxy, and
sent out over ppp0.

With ingress shaping I would be able to do that.

So in short - if you like CBQ, HTB etc on egress, and you accept that
informationloss occurs between ingress and egress, you want to be able to
shape ingress.

Regards,

bert

--