[LARTC] Re: htb-Why incoming only ?

I'm Cc this to LARTC as it may be of general interest.
The problem is that Linux (as other OSes) can install
qdisc (shaper) only for outgoing data. It is generaly
believed to be dumb to throttle data when they already
reached your computer or gateway.
When you do this on router you CAN limit both directions
by placing shaper on both eth0 and eth1 for example.

But the incoming data can be already shaped by your
upstream so that you have to shape to yet lower rate
to be sure that backlog is build.

To overcome limitation where qdisc can be only at output
interface you can use my IMQ patch which allows you to
run every packet in system thru HTB - of course you have
to be careful when setting it up because all packets
including local will go there.

hope it helps,
devik