[LARTC] htb causes roaring penguin's pppoe daemon to terminate connection

You wrote:

> And what one did you use for 2.4.16 ?

There was a patch for 2.4.16 on http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/
It is no longer there but I can send you a diff against the
2.4.17 patch.

>>>you could try cbq instead.
>

 > ..

> :) I only need to determine whether the bug is related to
> change in htb, pppoe or kernel. If 2.4.16 worked then we need
> to minimize code size with the bug.

OK, I'll make some tests.

> Try to use htb2_2.4.17.diff with 2.4.16 - it could say whether
> the bug is in htb (the diff should work with 2.4.16).

Meanwhile I'm not so sure whether the problem is caused by htb.

I used the same htb script and made some tests using iperf.
I sent data over 4 parallel connections (2 tcp, 2 udp), so
that my upstream is full. This time pppoe did not die.

The times before when pppoe died there was always a h323
connection involved - at least I think so. So maybe the
problem is caused by the h323 patch I'm using.

>>Do think it would make sense to reduce the transmit queue on ppp0
>>from 200 to ... let's say 50 or 20?
>
> probably not. The value is not used if you attached you own
> qdisc. It is only used as default size for default qdisc.

Ah, interesting. So my ifconfig $SOME_IF txqueuelen $SOME_QLEN

lines in the script can be thrown away.

Thank you for your tips. I'll analyze the situation in more detail
and report the results. I'm currently a bit short of time but
I should be able to find it out over the next few days.

Thomas