[LARTC] prioritizing INCOMING traffic

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Martin Devera wrote:

Hi Martin

> > iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --sport ssh -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
> > iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o ppp0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
>
> but this itself will not priorize anything .. depends on routers outside
I know so that is why I do use:

tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root handle 1: prio

# traffic put by kernel in band 0 based on TOS bit just set by iptables
tc qdisc add dev ppp0 parent 1:1 handle 10: sfq

# traffic put by kernel in band 1 based on TOS bit just set by iptable
tc qdisc add dev ppp0 parent 1:2 handle 20: tbf rate 61kbit latency 50ms burst 1540

# traffic put by kernel in band 2 based on TOS bit just set by iptable
tc qdisc add dev ppp0 parent 1:3 handle 30: sfq

This DOES shape my traffic , or am I wrong?

> > Now my question is if the opposite rules do make sense also?
> > iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
> > iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o ppp0 -p tcp --sport ssh -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
> > My intention is to give priority to incoming (from internet to my linux
> > box) ssh sessions also.
>
> It is nonsence .. Once packet is in your box all QoS decisions was already
> made.

Ok I agree :) But my thinking was that I CAN influence the return traffic
thus slowing down (tcp window mechanism) the BULK connections and not
slowing down the interactive traffic.. Makes sense or totally not? :P

Best regards,

--
Ronald Verlaan
http://80.60.86.86