[LARTC] Gre Tunneling Problem

There is trivial security in GRE tunnels.  Or possibly none at all.  If you
make your GRE tunnel with the command "ip tunnel add $tun mode gre remote
$remaddr local $localaddr key $key"  (I believe that's the correct syntax),
then your tunnel has a key.  It's not an encryption key, it's an
authentication key, and it's sent in cleartext, but it's a key.  If you want
security, wrap your GRE in IPSec or similar.

Bruce is Bruce Schneier, author of "Applied Cryptography" and "Secrets and
Lies", head of Counterpane Internet Security (http://www.counterpane.com/),
frequent speaker and general luminary on the topics of computer and internet
security, encryption etc.., and generally all around cool guy.  Although you
may not get much from e-mailing him directly (he's pretty busy), reading
back issues of his newsletter (CryptoGram) is generally enlightening, and
he's written some very good whitepapers on cryptography issues (I beleive
the original "mail Bruce" comment came about from a question on his paper on
the weaknesses of the PPTP protocol)

-Joe