Re: kvm-kmod and kernels 3.11.*

On 2013-12-12 22:59, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 12/12/2013 22:27, Gabriel L. Somlo ha scritto:
>> I tried copying and/or cut'n'pasting from additional source files in
>> the current kvm git tree, but haven't totally figured out how the magic
>> of "make sync" works yet :) Do you have any notes or any other
>> documentation one could use to be able to usefully hack on kvm-kmod
>> when it starts lagging behind the latest kvm master branch ?
>
> You need to "hack" the ./sync script to generate the appropriate
> #ifdefs.
>
> It looks like the code to support newer releases is currently in the
> next branch of kvm-kmod.git.

Yes, kvm-kmod is starting to bitrot. I just noticed I messed up the last
stable release back in August, and no one seems to have noticed it.
There were no complains about the missing releases for 3.11 and 3.12, so
it the relevance must have dropped significantly.

kvm-kmod is still useful for hacking, so I'm considering to stop
providing releases (except for a final 3.10.21), just updates in git to
allow wrapping of latest kvm head on recent kernels. There are breakages
with kernels < 3.0 now, about which I personally do not care anymore, so
lifting the entrance level to 3.0 seems reasonable.

> For completeness, here is the patch I am using right now.

Is there anything in your patch that is still required with current
kvm-kmod next? Then I would be happy about a patch!

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE