Re: qemu/kvm has limited pci config space exposed to guest device driver to access

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 11:10 +0800, Xuekun Hu wrote:
> Alex, thanks.
>
> Yes, I'm talking about the pci device assignment. What about the vfio
> performance, close to the pci pass-through performance?

vfio is pci passthrough.  It's a re-design of it.  Performance is
equivalent.

> Currently I'm trying to understand what's the behind thinking about
> the limited config space, security or sth else?

Legacy kvm device assignment has traditionally restricted access to
device config space.  I suspect it's a matter of necessary functionality
and vague ideas that it provides greater security.  Device assignment
would be much easier to implement if devices strictly followed the spec,
but we know that's not the case.  Thanks,

Alex