Re: Elvis upstreaming plan

On 11/24/2013 05:22 PM, Razya Ladelsky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Razya Ladelsky, I work at IBM Haifa virtualization team, which
> developed Elvis, presented by Abel Gordon at the last KVM forum:
> ELVIS video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EyweibHfEs
> ELVIS slides: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzyAwvVlQckeQmpnOHM5SnB5UVE
>

> According to the discussions that took place at the forum, upstreaming
> some of the Elvis approaches seems to be a good idea, which we would like
> to pursue.
>
> Our plan for the first patches is the following:
>
> 1.Shared vhost thread between mutiple devices
> This patch creates a worker thread and worker queue shared across multiple
> virtio devices
> We would like to modify the patch posted in
> https://github.com/abelg/virtual_io_acceleration/commit/3dc6a3ce7bcbe87363c2df8a6b6fee0c14615766
> to limit a vhost thread to serve multiple devices only if they belong to
> the same VM as Paolo suggested to avoid isolation or cgroups concerns.
>
> Another modification is related to the creation and removal of vhost
> threads, which will be discussed next.
>
> 2. Sysfs mechanism to add and remove vhost threads
> This patch allows us to add and remove vhost threads dynamically.
>
> A simpler way to control the creation of vhost threads is statically
> determining the maximum number of virtio devices per worker via a kernel
> module parameter (which is the way the previously mentioned patch is
> currently implemented)

Any chance we can re-use the cwmq instead of inventing another
mechanism? Looks like there're lots of function duplication here. Bandan
has an RFC to do this.

> I'd like to ask for advice here about the more preferable way to go:
> Although having the sysfs mechanism provides more flexibility, it may be a
> good idea to start with a simple static parameter, and have the first
> patches as simple as possible. What do you think?
>
> 3.Add virtqueue polling mode to vhost
> Have the vhost thread poll the virtqueues with high I/O rate for new
> buffers , and avoid asking the guest to kick us.
> https://github.com/abelg/virtual_io_acceleration/commit/26616133fafb7855cc80fac070b0572fd1aaf5d0

Maybe we can make poll_stop_idle adaptive which may help the light load
case. Consider guest is often slow than vhost, if we just have one or
two vms, polling too much may waste cpu in this case.
> 4. vhost statistics
> This patch introduces a set of statistics to monitor different performance
> metrics of vhost and our polling and I/O scheduling mechanisms. The
> statistics are exposed using debugfs and can be easily displayed with a
> Python script (vhost_stat, based on the old kvm_stats)
> https://github.com/abelg/virtual_io_acceleration/commit/ac14206ea56939ecc3608dc5f978b86fa322e7b0

How about using trace points instead? Besides statistics, it can also
help more in debugging.