Re: Improving scheduler for KVM

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:20:37AM +0800, R wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I am a graduate student. And now I have some spare time.
> I notice that KVM uses kernel scheduler to schedule VCPUs.
> But there exists many problem beyond the capability of current
> scheduler. (e.g. Lock Waiter Preemption problem)
>
> And I don't want to reinvent the wheel. So I want to implement a
> module which can be used by the scheduler to schedule VCPUs more
> efficient.
>
> Is there any documentation about any problem that I should pay attention to?
> Any comment is welcome.

If you are thinking about gang scheduler it was done before, but it will
never be accepted upstream. And IIRC pvticketlock result was close if
not better than gang scheduling. If you are thinking about something
else then implement it in Linux scheduler directly. Linux scheduler is
not pluggable, so you cannot change it from a module.

--
			Gleb.