Re: FAQ on linux-kvm.org has broken link

> If you do find something in dmesg that could be very helpful.

Ok it is down again: nothing in dmesg, neither on the guest or in the
host.

> Based on this information it seems like a bug in the virtio_net guest
> driver or vhost_net on the host.  Actually there is one contradictory
> piece of evidence: in the original bug report you said "using e1000
> instead of virtio: did not help".  Can you confirm that e1000 also does
> not work?

When I tested it, it also did not work yes.

> In your original bug report you said "If I then ping any host connected
> to that interface, no ping comes back: only a message about buffer space
> not being enough".  Can you post the exact error message and whether it
> is printed by ping inside the guest, dmesg inside the guest, or dmesg on
> the host?

It was inside the guest going to the outside world (eg outside of the
host).

> There is still the possibility that there is a networking configuration
> issue or bug inside the guest itself.  That would explain why this has
> happened across different configurations (tap, mactvap, vhost_net,
> e1000).

I don't think it is as:
- bringing down the interfaces _AND_ doing rmmod/modprobe of virtio_net
  solves it
- it also happened twice on an other guest

> Two approaches to get closer to the source of the problem:
> 1. Try the latest vanilla kernel on the host (Linux 3.10.5).  This way
>    you can rule out fixed bugs in vhost_net or tap.
> 2. Get the system into the bad state and then do some deeper.  Start
>    with outgoing ping, instrument guest driver and host vhost_net
>    functions to see what the drivers are doing, inspect the transmit
>    vring, etc.
>
> #1 is probably the best next step.  If it fails and you still have time
> to work on a solution we can start digging deeper with #2.

I can upgrade now to 3.10.3 as that is the current version in debian.

Folkert van Heusden