Mkinitcpio failing on vfio-vga-reset kernel branch on Arch Linux

I've compiled the vfio-vga-reset kernel branch, but every time I try to run mkinitcpio with the -k switch pointing either to the kernel or specifying the kernel version it says there are no modules to add.

Running up to date Arch Linux. Mkinitcpio works fine with other kernels. Is there a specific list of kernel options required other than the four VFIO ones or other reason it might fail?

Thanks

Peter