VirtIO and BSOD On Windows Server 2003

I've been merrily running a Windows Server 2003 with Exchange vm under
an older version of KVM (0.12.5) under Debian 6 (Squeeze), for over a
year.

I recently built a new kvm server with Debian Wheezy which comes with
KVM 1.1.2 and when I moved this guest over, I immediately started
getting BSODs (0x0000007). I disabled virtio block driver and then
attempted to upgrade to the latest with no luck.

Right now I have it running under IDE, and because the new server is
pretty spunky, I don't see any performance issues, but I have another
Server 2003 vm that is a file server to move over and I'm concerned
that I start getting a few IDE emulated guests and things will start
to get ugly.

Oddly enough, I have a Server 2012 (x64) running on virtio that moved
over without a hitch, so this is clearly a Server 2003 issue.

The most obvious solution at the moment is to downgrade to Debian
Squeeze, and that's the course I may take for the time being, but
that's not much of a long term solution.

I've done some research and this does seem to be an issue with Windows
XP/Server 2003  guests but clearly the issue here is not just virtio
drivers, but interaction between the drivers and a newer version of
kvm.

Does anybody have any thoughts or workarounds?

--
Aaron Clausen
mightymartianca@xxxxxxxxx