USB Dongle problems using passthrough.

Hi all,

I have a KVM system running debian squeeze with the backports qemu-kvm packages:

# dpkg --list |grep kvm
ii  qemu-kvm   1.1.2+dfsg-5~bpo60+1   Full virtualization on x86 hardware

I'm running 2 VM's with Windows 7 installed.
The software running on the VM's require a hardware USB dongle (for licensing).

I managed to get them to work using USB2.0 passthrough using the usb2
controller config file
(ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg).
I've added the following command line switches to the kvm command:

-readconfig /kvm/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg -device
usb-host,hostbus=2,hostaddr=3,bus=ehci.0

offcourse for the other vm it uses a different hostbus,hostaddr.

So far so good and everything works.

Now when I reboot one of the VM's the USB dongle doesn't work anymore
and comes up in windows device manager with a yellow exclamation mark
with the status:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

To get it to work again, i have to shutodwn the entire kvm host system
and boot it up again forcing me to shutdown all other VM's too.

It seems the USB Dongle expects some kind of power cycle between
reboots and obviously this power cycle never happens on a virtualized
system.

I tested with a simple USB Flash Drive which didn't have any issues
after a reboot of the VM, so i guess i need to look at the USB Dongle
which causes this behaviour.

Now my question:

Is there a way to force a power cycle or reset of a single USB port
while rebooting a VM or is there another way I can fix this?

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
Caspar