Interested in working for GSoC project

Hi All,

I am Mohit Dhingra, planning to work in GSoC project "Improve nested
virtualization support for x86". I got in touch with Jan
(jan.kiszka@xxxxxx) few days back.

As suggested by him, I am trying to write a simple unit test which
tests the "vmx" functions. To start with, I have written a small code
which checks whether "vmx" functionality is available on the current
processor or not[1].

I have used "cpuid" to check the VMX functionality. Before executing
cpuid, eax is set to 1. cpuid then puts the feature flags in ecx and
edx registers. Bit5 in ecx register tells whether VMX feature is
present or not. I am attaching the patch along with this mail.

But there is a problem that I am facing. CPUID behaves differently
when I run it using qemu-kvm, and when I run it directly in user mode.
 Please check the below output. It would be great if someone can
please help me out.

Using qemu-kvm

Command :
qemu-kvm -device testdev,chardev=testlog -chardev
file,id=testlog,path=msr.out -serial stdio -kernel ./x86/vmx_test.flat

Output :
Warning: default mac address being used, creating potential for address conflict
enabling apic
Feauture Flag returned in ecx : 0x80802001 VMX capabilities not present !
Vendor ID (returned by CPUID) : GenuineIntel

Executing directly

Compile :
gcc -o gcc_output x86/vmx_test.c

Executing :
./gcc_output

Output :
Feauture Flag returned in ecx : 0x98e3bd VMX capabilities present !
Vendor ID (returned by CPUID) : GenuineIntel

[1] Intel Processor Identification and the CPUID Instruction

Thanks & Regards
Mohit Dhingra
+919611190435