Fwd: Masters Thesis: Physical Memory Tracing

Hi there,

I'm currently working on my Masters Thesis about Physical Memory
Tracing. That is: making systematically snapshots of a guest operation
system in order to analyze certain things. In the attachment is a
screenshot of the recorded snapshots for an arch linux boot procedure.
>From left to right are the snapshots and from top to down is the guest
physical address space. Just to give you an impression of what I am
doing.

In order to get changes to memory regions I remove the write flag from
writable memory regions in EPT. Now, if anything is writing to this
memory region, a #PF occurs. On this #PF I mark the memory region as
dirty and set the write flag, so that future writes can be passed
until the next snapshot was made.
The point why I'd like to do this is: I can just write the changed
memory regions per snapshot and don't need to write everything again
and again to disk.

My problem now is:
How can I find the corresponding memory region of a faulting guest
physical address?
Is there some reverse mapping? Or do I need to traverse the whole EPT
tree and look where this address is contained?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Kind regards,
Dominic Fischer
Master student
University of Applied Science, Bern ( ti.bfh.ch / sel.bfh.ch )