Re: in-kernel interrupt controller steering

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 05:38:33AM -0500, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> [...]
OK, we try not to add interfaces for one userspace convenience though.
Is this such insurmountable problem for QEMU?

> Perhaps it's just a problem of naming, and KVM_CREATE_DEVICE is simply
> not the right name for the interface.  Once both KVM_CREATE_IRQCHIP_ARGS
> and KVM_CREATE_DEVICE are added, it really will not create the device anymore.
> Devices will be created by KVM_CREATE_IRQCHIP_ARGS, and possibly by
> KVM_CREATE_VCPU.  KVM_CREATE_DEVICE is really only returning an id.
>
> So we can have this instead:
> - KVM_CREATE_IRQCHIP_ARGS becomes KVM_SET_IRQCHIP_TYPE (and "none"
> can be a valid irqchip type).
>
> - KVM_CREATE_DEVICE becomes KVM_GET_IRQCHIP_DEVICE, and you pass it a
> device type and possibly a VCPU number.
>
> It's mostly about names, but one important property is that
> KVM_GET_IRQCHIP_DEVICE can be called at any time and, in fact,
> multiple times.  Gleb, do you like this more?

If you put it like this it sounds better (well you've just stashed the
handle in kernel for QEMU convenience :)), but you've made the interface
irqchips specific again and this is what we are trying to avoid.

--
			Gleb.